As you, our single digit readers, may have noticed, our posting has “slowed.” Although I’ve had a ton of fun writing about music, bands, and Philadelphia for the past year and a half, Noise Narcs will no longer be regularly updated. At the very least, this site will stay active in its current form until the end of the year, and then I’ll move it to cheaper (read: free) hosting, where it will live in semi-retirement, gathering moss and making future generations snicker. Like a Geocities X-Files fansite. It’s likely that there will be a few more sporadic posts, as whim strikes us, over the next few months. And the site will live on as a portal for our friendly Best Album of the Year poll.
So thank you. Thank you readers. Thank you to all the bands who submitted music. A special thank you to all the bands who submitted who didn’t suck (a surprisingly large percentage).
A big thanks to all the bands who endured our awkward interviews: Jeremy Barnes of A Hawk and a Hacksaw, Incan Abraham, Work Drugs, Bridge Underwater, Drew from Blood Feathers, The Eeries, and Grubby Little Hands.
Thank you to our loyal contributing narcs: Christopher “I know how spell psychedelic” T, Cydney “Music to dance/read/write to” A, Billy “I actually know things about music” L, Greg “I’m confused about The National” W, Matt “Gaga” K, Trent “amazing Italian video” W, my brother Aaron “I teach the children of rock stars” G, Katherine “I’m adorable about talking about how I don’t know anything about music but still am willing to post” H, Kenny “stills owes a Mog post” R, Andrew Mattey from Cozy Galaxies, Matt “What’s PBR&B?” S, Miya “Dairyland” T, and Dave “Ugly Furniture” B. And thanks to all of you who contributed to our year end lists: I hope you’ll keep doing it.
Thanks to all of our commenters. At the most spiteful and banal, you made us feel read. At your best, you made us feel challenged, intrigued, and appreciated.
Our sincere gratitude to the bands who played our show in March: Cozy Galaxies, Bridge Underwater, and Grubby Little Hands. You guys killed it, and I’m excited to hear where you guys will be going next.
Thanks to MOG, who ran our advertising. And I say this with all impartiality, if you love music, you should subscribe. Their pitch-perfect streaming has changed, permanently, the way I listen to music. So one last heartfelt advertisement: .
Penultimately, a few shoutouts to a few highlights among the Noise Narc features and posts:
- our wonderful “back in time” feature Hot Tub Rock Show
- David Lynch Week, which featured, in my opinion, the best overall Noise Narcs post by Billy L: The Voice From Another Place: Jimmy Scott and the Black Lodge
- the most hilarious comments definitely go to PBR&B: The Weeknd and Frank Ocean
- Chris teaching us about death
- interviewing Jeremy Barnes
- Matt K’s Oscar piece, which had the highest lol-to-word ratio
- Material Lives’ calling Eddie Fisher “the equivalent of [her] Madonna, Prince, or Andre Agassi.”
- songs that feature whistling
- my best post, a Noise Variation on “Memphis, Tennessee.” Not a brag: any idiot could write well about that perfect song.
This really has been a pleasure for me. And, on Friday, tune in for my last “official” post: numerous versions of the saddest goodbye song I know. It’ll be a real tearjerker, jerks.